Sunday, September 17th, 2006
A few months ago, the Ajaxians had the opportunity to sit down with Chris Wilson, Laurel Reitman, and Dave Massey — all program managers with the IE7 team — and discuss the upcoming release. Beforehand, we solicited your questions, and in Episode 18 (~8mb, MP3 format), we ask some of those questions to the team:
– What operating systems does IE7 target? Is that controversial amongst your clients?
– What are your favorite new features in IE7?
– WhatWG vs. W3C?
– Might Microsoft participate in the WhatWG in the future?
– Why did it take so long to create a new version?
– How often are you planning on making updates to the rendering engine? Can you hotfix IE or will we have to wait years?
– How can we make our sites compatible with >=IE6 and IE7?
– What are your plans for support of SVG and Canvas?
– Are there any plans to allow XHR in IE7 to read response before it has been completely loaded?
– Tell us more about IE-hosted WPF and WPF/E
– Have you thought about how to better solve deep-linking and history mechanism issues with Ajax?
– With all of MS’ emphasis on driving value to the Windows platform, what is the level of your commitment to the browser platform?
We hope you enjoy the program!
Note: Laurel from this podcast was at Ajax Experience San Francisco back in May, answering questions, interviewing the community, and just generally gathering feedback. I’m sure the IE7 team will be sending someone to the Boston show as well.
Posted by Ben Galbraith at 11:44 pm