Wednesday, June 24th, 2009
>Rana Sobhany of Medialets has posted on Sun Spider benchmarks of the iPhone 3GS as well as other devices which shows off the performance angle of 3GS:
Medialets ran the SunSpider test suite in the following environments:
- Safari 4.0.1 on a 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo White MacBook.
- The MacBook results were used as a baseline for relative comparisons.
- Mobile Safari on the iPhone 3G with iPhone OS v2.2.1
- Mobile Safari on the iPhone 3G with iPhone OS v3.0
- Mobile Safari on the iPhone 3GS with iPhone OS v3.0
- The “Browser” app on the T-Mobile G1 with Android OS v1.5 (Cupcake)
- The “Web” app on the Palm Pre with Web OS v1.0.2
Each device was fully restored and rebooted immediately before running the test suite. Every attempt was made to assure that no atypical background tasks were executing while the tests were running. The SunSpider tests automatically run five times sequentially and the mean average from all five tests are reported. Network speed and latency have no effect on the results of the test.
We all know to beware of benchmarks, but it does show off how powerful these devices are getting!