Monday, August 25th, 2008
Razor Profiler Features
- Automation: no application code change required. Razor Profiler automatically collects all the necessary data and presents them to web developers for analysis.
- Rich lexical analysis: Razor Profiler presents rich lexcial information about the application, such as file information (number, response status, size, mimetype, percentage, etc), tokens (size, file, percent, count), and functions (size, file, name…), etc;
- Profile scenario recording: Razor Profile enables web developers to selectively record the scenarios that they are interested in. Only recorded scenarios will be used in analysis.
- Call stack analysis: for each recorded scenario, Razor Profiler presents all the call stacks in the order of their occurence. For each call stacks, web developers can drill into it to find out the duration of the stack, all the function calls of this stack and the duration of each call.
- Data visualization with graphing and charting: Razor Profiler presents top call stacks, top function calls of each stack, top recorded scenarios, etc. using visual charts and graphs to help web developers better understand the runtime behavior of their application. For example, each call stack is visualized as an intuitive Gantt chart.
How Does Razor Profiler Work?
- Application retrieval: Once a web developer enters the application start URL into Razor Profiler, Razor Profiler client component (“the client”) will send this URL to Razor Profiler server component (“the server”). The server performs the actually retrieval of this URL. After additional server processing (such as lexical analysis and code injection, see below), the retrieved content is sent to the client side to be displayed in a new browser window. For the developer point of view, the application is launched and running in this new browser window.
In this process, Razor Profiler Server is acting like a “proxy server”. But it is not really a “proxy server” and there is no need for developers to re-configure their browser proxy settings.
- Data analysis: When the developer finishes recording scenarios and starts data analysis, Razor Profiler client performs analysis of all the collected data and presents the results.
Posted by Dion Almaer at 9:07 am