Wednesday, September 10th, 2008
Grant Jones stepped up and has written a gues t post on implementing Canvas using Flash.
Grant starts out with the timeline of shims:
- Manish Jethani mentions something about the canvas tag being used for a 3D game, John Dowdell from adobe responds in Nov. 2005
- Manish Jethani suggests a way to do a SWF-based Canvas on Dec 1st, 2005
- iecanvas from Emil A Eklund released December, 2005 (uses VML)
- excanvas from Google released March, 2006 (uses VML)
- AFLAX (uses ExternalInterface) adds canvas emulation in March 2006
Grant wasn’t happy with the performance of excanvas for a simple game he was writing, so he wanted to see if Flash would be better, creating FlashCanvas:
Unfortunately, the performance issue is tough. Is it faster?
The short version: not really.
He then goes into detail on the implementation, and things that he tried to get performance up a notch. It appears that Vlad’s work with putting the Mozilla implementation into IE via ActiveX may be the best hope yet. Or, what if the IE team actually implemented the darn thing!
Posted by Dion Almaer at 7:09 am